Skip to main content

$ome more books

I just finished two books, both concerning money in one aspect or another. The first was called The Undercover Economist. The author talks about everything from traffic to coffee to how to sell air. Along the way, he demonstrates several useful rules, like "You can never buy a decent used car". Anybody interested in how the world works should read this book. The great thing about this book is that I can read a chapter, walk outside, and observe the things he writes about. A real mind stimulant.
The Undercover Economist: A

Next, I read a book that Sterling College requires for some class. It is called Nickel and Dimed and follows the adventure of one lady as she plunges herself into the working class to see if she can survive. I was hoping for a lot more convincing facts - the book was mainly narrative about how disgusting her jobs were, what it was like trying to get along with coworkers, etc. Only in the footnotes and in the last chapter (analysis) did I find such facts. I'm glad I read it, though. It makes me think a lot more about the lady serving me food at a restaurant and the guys who keep the paseos clean around here.
Nickel and Dimed: C

Comments

Yokanchi said…
Your clipart is broken

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...