Skip to main content

A Few More Books Before I Go

Well, I leave tomorrow morning for Kansas. Steve had me read a book about vocation before I left. It's called God at Work by Gene Edward Veith, Jr. It's a really easy read, only 150 pages, so I didn't invest much time in it. I thought it was pretty helpful in getting myself to think about the Biblical view of vocation, and especially that ministerial work is not more meritorious than any other type of work.
God at Work: C

Also, I finished R.C. Sproul's The Holiness of God a couple of weeks ago. It was nothing that I hadn't heard before, but it was good as a devotional tool - it forced me to think about things that I normally wouldn't have thought about.
The Holiness of God: C

Finally, I finished up C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters, which we had been discussing once a month in a college group. Since I won't be here for the next many many college groups, I finished up the rest of it about a week ago. The book is extremely thought-provoking, and Lewis's excellent writing style and profundity shines through on every page.
The Screwtape Letters: A

Comments

Anonymous said…
Screwtape Letters are a B or B+ in my mind. Spirtually they are an A+ because most Christians don't realize that all is still happening. But I didn't like quite like the way it flowed.
Anonymous said…
I haven't read the Veith book in question, but I find that most times, he is quite a thoughtful writer concerning Christianity and the world. (His work with "World" magazine is particularly insightful).

I'd be interested to read more of your thoughts concerning his book on vocation.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!...