Skip to main content

Sterling College

For those who are interested, here are my classes for the Fall of 2007 at Sterling College:

NT Greek I
Introduction to the Old Testament
Basic Philosophical Concepts
Public Speaking
Introduction to Computers
World Literature I
Foundations of Servant Leadership

This comes out to 17 credit hours for the semester. I'm expecting it to be much more laid-back than my first semester at The Master's College, because I was taking 18 credit hours there, which included saxophone practice (which takes about 12 hours per week, even though it is counted as 1 credit hour). On top of all of this, I had work study to deal with. Needless to say, I was almost overwhelmed my Freshman year.

I talked to my academic adviser, Dr. Lederle, today. I am very privileged to have him as an adviser, because he seems a very sensible man. My options for college are abounding: either I can

1) double or triple major in economics, religion and philosophy, and/or literature,

2) make up an interdisciplinary major, combining the likes of literature, religion and philosophy, and history, or

3) any combination of major/minors of the above systems. Afterwards, I could go to a seminary (if I wanted to learn more about theology), or gain an advanced degree is economics (which would be required if I wanted to work in government circles as an economist), or look into working with the International Justice Mission, which I'm still fond of.

In addition to this, we talked of the possibility of my taking an internship abroad, possibly through Cross-cultural Solutions. There are just too many factors right now. I'll have to plunge into the college life and see where it takes me.

Finally, I'm considering whether or not I will try to be involved in this year's plays at Sterling College. I'm leaning heavily towards the "yes" department.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Might have some used textbooks for some of your classes (namely, Philosophy and World Lit, if they still use the same textbooks). Let me know if you're interested.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...