Skip to main content

The Light at the end of the Tunnel

Only a few more weeks of school are left. My last final is on the 23rd... And I'm ready for it.

I finished The Crying of Lot 49 before the backpacking trip. It was an excellent book. Since I identify myself more and more with Postmodernism, I was especially fond of what the book had to say about truth and the nature of knowing. A short read, recommended to everyone who isn't easily offended by sex and language (by the way, the book is absolutely hilarious!).

I finished Voltaire's Candide during break as well. It was an interesting contrast to Pascal. Although I do not agree with either Pascal or Voltaire's philosophy (as much as Voltaire was able to express his philosophy in a satire), I tend to find Voltaire's thoughts a little more honest. Another humorous piece of literature, that Candide.

This week's book in my Novel class was Beloved by Toni Morrison. It is not funny at all; in fact, it is very serious - and very excellently written. Morrison won the Nobel prize, and it is easy to see why when reading this book about a mother who killed her own child rather than risk it being sent back down south into slavery.

Most recently (today), I finished a feminist/postmodern book called Women as Lovers written by Austrian writer Elfriede Jelinek. The book is very depressing, although there are some humorous parts. Mostly, Jelinek wants to point out the plight of most women in today's society. The more I hated the situations I found the characters in, the more I realized how truly those situations play out in today's society, if to a slightly lesser extent.

Tonight is the second night of the one-act practices. I play Agent Wesson, sidekick to Agent Smith, in Dinner With the MacGuffins, a play heavily influenced by Hitchcock movies. It's a hoot.

Last week was registration. I think I have my classes for next year figured out. I'll update you. This week is "Room Rush" here at SC. That means all of the students are trying to snag up the best rooms for next year. Unfortunately, I may not get a single room like I wanted, but at least I'll be able to move out of 2nd floor Campbell (which is a little taste of Hell).

That seems enough for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!...