Skip to main content

The End of Faith

I just finished Sam Harris' fine book, The End of Faith. I wish all of my friends would read books like this. I have a friend here at Sterling College who has read not only this, but books by such authors as Dawkins, Hitchens, and Dennett, all outspoken atheists, and together with Harris known as "The Four Horseman."

Disclaimer: You have to have to have an open mind to read this book. Be prepared to change some foundational beliefs.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Borg's writing style is very personable, which is perhaps intentional, as opposed to Harris, who was writing more like a neuroscientist. Also, Borg is very nice and tender in his writing style, while Harris was more aggressive and angry.

But that's all style, neither bad nor good. As far as content, I like what Borg has to say about the Fideistic Jesus - that is, that he is not historical. He is a post-Easter creation. But Borg believes it is just as "true" as the real Jesus. I'm interested to hear him tease out that idea, especially as I compare it with what Harris says about "moderate Christians" in his works.

What do you think about him?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...

On the Biblical Mandate to Respect Authority

The SC choir chaplain brought up a passage in 1 Peter at the beginning of this week regarding submission to authority. It led to interesting conversation, and I'd like to reiterate part of that conversation here. 1) It is important to remember that the early churches who passed around these letters had a very practical use for them. The early church could have easily been stomped out had the early Christians been too anti-government. True, the church was persecuted. True, the church did get into trouble with the government. However, remember that the persecution happened for short bursts of time (historically speaking) and only in isolated areas. It was by no means universal persecution. Additionally, when you look at other early Christian documents, you see more injunctions to work with the rulers. And why not? The early church needed all the support it could get, while not compromising, of course. If they were all outspoken government radicals, they would not have lasted long. 2)...