Skip to main content

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day
was to sleep in as late as
possible.
when my foul roommate woke me up
I had to shift to
priority number two:
be as comfortable as
possible -
normal routine be damned.

Upon shuffling my way
into the kitchen,
I discovered a moth,
wet-plastered to a dirty pan.
"I feel your pain, buddy."

Sitting on the couch
next to a glass of water,
I wish I could
devise a way
to get the water in me
without having to
move my arms
or head.
My vacant glazed gaze gathers
itself toward a brochure on the
coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse
I laugh
(only mentally)
and for a moment,
the shaking stops.

Jesus, it's good to
be alive.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Solstice.
Unknown said…
Oops. Thanks, Jeremy :)
Anonymous said…
No problem. I must say, for a guy who spends his time (and money) practicing literary interpretation, I can have loads of fun with this one!
Unknown said…
Jeremy, call me some time, won't you? I'd like to catch up. 620.278.6008

I still listen to Fleet Foxes. They're one of my favorites. Thanks for the recommendation. Any other bands you've been listening to?
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Okay, I will!

As for the bands, I wish I had time to be a serious band-listener right now. A convoluted alliance of koine Greek, the Torah, and manual labor have conspired against me. So I have to resort to catching random YouTube videos posted on my friends' blogs, like this one from the band OK GO:

http://schreinerpatrick.wordpress.com/2010/03/

(Scroll a little more than halfway down the page, and click on the song, "This Too Shall Pass.")

I know nothing about this song (not even what the heck it is about--for all I know in all my cultural ineptitude, this is the latest sensation). I DO know that it is the hands-down coolest music video ever known to man, and that it forever answers the age-old question that high school freshmen ask their Physical Science teachers the world over: "When will we ever use this in real life?"

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...

On the Biblical Mandate to Respect Authority

The SC choir chaplain brought up a passage in 1 Peter at the beginning of this week regarding submission to authority. It led to interesting conversation, and I'd like to reiterate part of that conversation here. 1) It is important to remember that the early churches who passed around these letters had a very practical use for them. The early church could have easily been stomped out had the early Christians been too anti-government. True, the church was persecuted. True, the church did get into trouble with the government. However, remember that the persecution happened for short bursts of time (historically speaking) and only in isolated areas. It was by no means universal persecution. Additionally, when you look at other early Christian documents, you see more injunctions to work with the rulers. And why not? The early church needed all the support it could get, while not compromising, of course. If they were all outspoken government radicals, they would not have lasted long. 2)...