Skip to main content

Reality as Spectating

Yesterday, as I was meditating (read: trying to meditate), I spotted a very bad little habit that I've come into. So subtle it is, that I do not even know how long I've practiced it. I think it may be causing a great deal of unhappiness, and I am eager to rid myself of it.


This discovery took place as I was trying to rid my thoughts of the heat of the room. I was sitting on the floor with a little desk fan at my back. In order to cool off, I tried to imagine that I was sitting atop a mountain in China, a gentle breeze at my back. I pictured myself sitting there, only the top of the hill peeking over the clouds, and me in my meditative position on top of the hill. I imagined that the billowy clouds were moving gently, rapidly, all around.


And then I thought, Why is it that whenever I try to imagine myself in a situation, I experience the imagination as though outside myself?


I thought some more. Every thought of potential future situations follow this pattern. I view the scene as though from a camera lens, or from the point of view of an attentive friend who came along to keep me company. Thinking about future jobs (a topic that has been on my mind a lot recently), peace corps service, making new friends -- all of these I imagine from a perspective outside myself.


What does this mean? And is this normal?


This is perhaps a characteristic of a person who is more concerned about what a certain action, behavior, or attitude looks like and less concerned with what these things feel like.


There used to be a time when I wanted to climb mountains just for the experience of climbing mountains. I thought I have the same reasons for wanting to climb mountains today. But. Maybe I'm really just in love with the idea of climbing a mountain. That is, I love that if someone were to be viewing my life in a movie, that it would be an exciting part of the movie for them. Am I so concerned with the external aesthetic effect of my actions that I've choked and killed any semblance of pure desire?


And is this a result of watching too many movies? Reality is only experienced as a spectator. What a sad way to live. I certainly hope I'm wrong about this...


Anyway, I've decided to try to re-orient my thinking, to see things in the first person again. I hope that I can start to feel more immediately my own wants and desires, those things with which I fear I've become hopelessly out of touch. 

Comments

Good point Deric, I guess I never really thought about the disconnect before between the seeing and the feeling. It's certainly a lot easier to pull up scenery in the mind than to feel a genuine emotion at will. I'll keep this in mind more now, thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...