Skip to main content

Looking Behind, Looking Ahead

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Søren Kierkegaard
Now I am in Philadelphia, visiting my wonderful sister, brother-in-law, and little nephew.

my little nephew
Just last week, I was spending some of my last days with an old friend from high school before his wedding. He moved his wedding to an earlier date just so I could be there to be his best man. So, yeah... I'm pretty important. The guys took Daniel on a caving expedition at Raccoon Mountain Caverns in Southern Tennessee. We crawled through mud and slime and seas of baby salamanders (okay, there were only a few, but it's neat imagery, right?) to discover thundering underground waterfalls and streams and stalactites and -- well, it was really cool. The wedding was beautiful, powerful. The reception: classy, fun. I am very pleased that I decided to spend this last month with my friend. Sir, may your married days bring you lots of life and love.


and sparklers!
 And now, just around the corner, I am looking over the Atlantic to a distant land. A land 4,000 miles to the East known as al-maghreb, "The West," for it is the Western-most of the Arab lands. It is a place that holds, in my mind, great potential, great mystery.


I have received more details regarding my training:

  • We fly into Casablanca and drive to Rabat, where we will be staying at the Hotel Oscar for 9 days for orientation.
  • After orientation, we split into three groups, which go to Fez, Azrou, and Immouzer.
  • Those three groups split into smaller groups to begin CBT, or Community-based Training. CBT groups consist of 5 or 6 PCVs, working and training in an environment not too different from their ultimate assignment.
  • Site announcements take place around the second week of May.
  • Swearing-in takes place May 23 back in Rabat.
  • I then go to my assigned community for a while (the "practicum phase") before returning to Rabat to debrief with in-service training. While pre-service training focuses mainly on language, culture, and staying alive, my impression is that in-service training focuses more on youth development, since by then I should have a good idea of what I want to do with my two years.



I am packed, positive, and ready to go. All that is left is to spend quality time with my family before my next adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...