Skip to main content

A Moulay Yacoub Kind of Day





Fes is big.

Too big.

I need a break from big.

Actually, I needed a break from big, and I got it (come to think of it though, I could use another).

Weeks ago, several of my friends came together, and we traveled to a nearby town called Moulay Yacoub. Built on a hillside, Yacky looks out over rolling hills blanketed with dill, cereal grains, and shepherds with their flocks. Underneath the countless stairs and hills, trapped in the earth is a simmering cauldron. These hot springs have been diverted into the Hammams of Yacky and provide a sizable stream of tourism.

Members of my group walked through the Hammams, but we weren't interested in what was below as much as what was above. After a quick walk through the town and the procurement of picnic items, the group set off over the hills. It was a muddy adventure, and the wind was constantly thwarting our attempts at finding quietude, but the view was absolutely gorgeous, and we couldn't help but enjoy ourselves immensely.







Highlights included:

Getting ripped off by the grand taxi driver at the train station in Fes: he told us the price to Moulay Yacoub was set by the government at 200 DH for a car. On the way back, we paid only 54 DH. Ouch. By the way, grand taxis are regular-sized cars that are driven long distances. Two passengers share a single seat in the front, and four share the back seat. Personal space? Forget about it.

The view.

Many boys with their donkeys offering to transport us through the hills (for a price, of course).

The majesty of the natural world.

Walking through the fields. Hopefully, I didn't destroy any peasants' livelihoods.

Walking amongst the flocks.

Being not in Fes.

The view (are you seeing these pictures?)





What I found most intriguing is what lay beyond the hills. We walked most of the day, and once we were far into the hills, we could see scattered throughout the horizon little villages with their own flocks and makeshift shelters and their own backyard of yawning hillscape. What is life like for these people? Do they see the same beauty in these hills, or do they see only the necessity of survival?

We escape Fes in order to relax in these undulating fields. Do these shepherds want this life, or do they dream of escaping these hills surrounding Moulay Yacoub in order to make a living in Fes, to lead a life with a cell phone, a computer, a big television? What are there schools like? Do they have teachers? Medical care? I wish I could have asked them these questions, and my hope is that in my permanent site, I will have just such an opportunity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...