Skip to main content

Book Analyses

Phew! I'm done with 'round 1' of books. Here is what I thought:

First on the list is Mathison's The Shape of Sola Scriptura. For a good portion of the book, I had an unanswered objection to some of Mathison's logic, but near the end his arguments came to a magnificent crescendo, and my objection was no more. The book as been a tremendous help in sorting out the issues of authority in the church. If you want to know why so many people in your church are leaving for Orthodox or Catholic churches, this book will tell you why (hint: they actually have good reason to, in most cases). The issue of authority is an argument that is majorly twisted and abused in probably 95% of literature that addresses it, particularly in apologetic literature.
The Shape of Sola Scriptura: A

Next, I read both of Malcom Gladwell's books: The Tipping Point and Blink. These books have fascinating studies throughout that also make really interesting conversations. They will challenge you to think twice about how you view AIDS, racism, fashion, crime rates, salesmen, and your own free will. WOW.
The Tipping Point: A
Blink: A

I just finished Leithart's The Kingdom and the Power this morning. My pastor and I have been meeting on a weekly basis and discussing it. It has been really helpful to me, being new to a covenant worldview, but by the end when the novelty wore off, it became a little less interesting. I highly recommend it to anybody who wants a biblical view of the kingdom of God.
The Kingdom and the Power: A-

Finally, and lastly, I finished Jean Twenge's Generation Me. The book contains a lot of studies and statistics, which I sometimes find myself skipping over, unless they are particularly appealing or relevant to me (wow, that is such a 'Generation Me' thing to do). While the studies may not be as interesting as those in Gladwell's books, this is far more impactful on how I view my peers and parents, because the book goes to a lot of trouble to explain our generation's behavior (by 'our' I mean those people who were born in the 70's, 80's, or 90's - that is 'Generation Me'). It has made me more skeptical of certain beliefs or movements that I can see are a pure invention of modern culture. At the end, Twenge lays out all of the impacts, as they relate to political leaders, business owners, entrepreneurs, and students. I found the analysis at the end to be particularly interesting and well thought-out.
Generation Me: A

explanation: the reason for all of the high grades is not because I am a generous grader - rather, it is because I have picked out the books that I have been wanting to read for a long time (due to the many recommendations offered on their behalf). There are also books that I have checked out that I didn't even finish, like The Philosophy Gym - it sounded interesting, but it wasn't - the logic was flawed, and the writer was a little pompous. Also, I started reading China, Inc., because I am interested in the rise of China. However, I quickly realised that I wasn't that interested in China. Later, you will see lower reviews. These books really are the creme of the crop. Check them out sometime!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You use the term "covenant worldview". What would you say, from your perspective, are the distinctives of a "covenant worldview" in contrast to, say, a "Biblical," "Protestant", or even simply a "Christian" worldview"? (It seems to me that because each person is in the process of growing in and shaping his understanding of the world, there is an element of subjectivity to a person's worldview, as opposed to one's adherence to theological or philosophical systems, which often tend to be SOMEWHAT more uniform, depending on the system -- e.g. dispensationalism, materialism, calvinism, amillenialism, trinitarianism, catholicism, etc). And let me emphatically add that my question in no way endorses the current of existentialism which is flooding our culture today (or a compulsive use of the suffix "ism" for that matter!)
Unknown said…
Oh boy - I am definitely not qualified to answer this question accurately. I'll tell you what I meant by "covenant worldview," though. I use the term rather loosely, since I am so unfamiliar with it.

The following were stressed in the book:

1) A Sacramental worldview - everything we do as a church revolves around particularly the Eucharist

2) Cultural Transformation - engaging the culture as opposed to hiding from it

3) The main function of the church is to be the church - through the sacraments, liturgy (worship), etc.

4) Viewing the church more corporately - most evangelicals focus on the "me" aspect of Christianity and ignore the corporate aspect

5) Also, the book has been helping me to see the Bible more holistically, as one story that begins in a garden and ends in a city, with types and archetypes

These are the things I wasn't used to thinking about, and the book gently eased me into this frame of thinking. That is what I meant when I said I was new to a "Covenantal Worldview," although I'm sure I could have used a better phrase - I just don't know what.
Yokanchi said…
Wow, the Blink you read sounds alot like a ficton novel by Ted Dekker, also called Blink incidentally. It is fiction, but what is amazing is how deep it will make you think and be amazed. I would recommend that one to you for sure. It's basically all about free-will if I remember correctly.

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.