Skip to main content

Life Update

Well, I haven't been very faithful in updating my blog, so I have a lot of time to make up for. I suppose I'll talk about my classes.

World Lit is still my favorite. So far we've read The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis, Symposium by Plato, The Odyssey by Homer, Medea by Euripides, Phaedrus by Plato, and The Metamorphoses by Ovid. Now we are done with the Ancient Greek and Roman ideas of love, and we are moving on to the Hebrew ideas of love. Thus, we are reading Hosea, Song of Songs, Ezekiel 16, and eventually The Epic of Gilgamesh also. I love reading this kind of stuff! It's so much better than reading through a textbook, or surviving only on lecture notes.

In Basic Philosophical Concepts, we had to read two books: Philosophy Made Slightly Less Difficult by DeWeese and Moreland, and Love Your God With All Your Mind by Moreland. I really wish we could have covered these concepts with a book that wasn't loaded with typical Evangelical trite answers to all of the "evil philosophies" that are "infiltrating our minds." Come on. These books were weak! Are they even trying to hide their straw men arguments? I felt like subscribing to the "evil philosophies" simply because Moreland couldn't handle a reasonable defense against them!

Finally, in Old Testament survey, we are reading The God of Promise and the Life of Faith by Hafemann. It's a pretty good book - nothing earth-shattering, but I'm glad Dr. Smith is using it for this required class. It's a good introduction to covenant-ish theology.

I heart Greek! In Dr. Smith's Greek I class, we've been sing Duff's Elements of New Testament Greek. I like it much better than Mounce's book.

Other than that, I've been reading poetry from a book that Christina so graciously let me borrow, an anthology by Robert Pinsky and Maggie Dietz called Americans' Favorite Poems. Love it, love it, love it!

Also outside of class, I'm still going through Moby-Dick (slowly) and How to Think About the Great Ideas by Mortimer Adler. It's very stimulating. I'm probably learning more from three chapters of that book than I've learned from this entire half-semester of Basic Philosophical Concepts.

Shame on me, because I've neglected reading A House for My Name. I don't really mind. I liked what Leithart was saying, and I'll probably finish the book some day, but it's just not that important to me right now.

I visited the Episcopal church in Hutchinson last week. It was about what I expected it to be - not very big, lots of older people, etc.

Also, I'm super-excited about my recent purchase of some backpacking gear from Campmor! I'm all ready for a Spring Break backpacking trip!

Speaking of which, I'm seriously considering working for Xanterra this summer, the company that runs Yellowstone National Park. I'll apply for Park Service jobs as well, but they are harder to get into (for a college student who can only work the summer months). I'll do this, that is, unless I can find a high-paying job around Sterling that will utilize my mind and leadership skills rather than just my arms, legs, and back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.