Skip to main content

Summer Job and College Major

A man from Yellowstone National Park called me a few days ago, letting me know that I have a position there for the summer. I'll be working with the food and beverage department (not the most glamorous job, but it's a start) in the Old Faithful area of the park. I start May 10th!

For my Novel class, we read Frankenstein last week. I really enjoyed the discussion of this book, much more, perhaps, than the reading of the book itself, although Shelley is not a bad writer. I still think I liked Wuthering Heights better, though.

In Human Social Context, we finishedThe Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat, an absolutely fantastic book. It does an excellent job of demonstrating the strange things that the brain can do, and raises many questions about ethical decisions, the soul, and happiness of those with cases of autism and other conditions. That class is really reinforcing some of the ideas I've embraced last semester, as I continue to move further away from my Fundamentalist upbringing. I'm glad that I'm moving slowly, but steadily, so I know that my moves aren't reactionary. Don't get me wrong - I'm very far away from it already, but I continue to move in that direction, even past what some people are comfortable with.

Finally, I've found a good pattern for my Interdisciplinary. I've written up class lists over and over again, trying to pin down what my major does, exactly. But I found that the University of Chicago's Humanities major is the closest I'll get at Sterling College. Here is the link, in case anybody is interested in looking at it. Once I get my own major solidified, I'll post the contents of it as well. Also, here is the link to the index of majors at UC. If I could, I'd take the Fundamentals, Humanities, Classic Studies, and Economics. I love that school!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What exactly is it about fundamentalism that makes you want to run from it? Are you sure this isn't a reaction to any events in your life?

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!...