Skip to main content

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes.

This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with and fit in with a group that doesn't take Christianity seriously. They just like having fun - camping, drinking, telling stories, or whatever. Convention broke down - not a lot, but relative to Sterling.. yes, a lot. Talking with Bill about reincarnation or his views on sex, love, and marriage; getting buzzed with Wilbur and reading Robert Frost poems to anyone unlucky enough to be in the hallway; telling nerdy literary jokes right alongside "Your Mom" jokes; having a casual dating relationship without fearing commitment; the list goes on. Janne told me that he thought working at Yellowstone was difficult because we have to see so many good people leave. "But you know," he told me, "sometimes you need to feel that kind of pain to escape from monotony in life. It's a good reminder of what it is to be human, to have strong emotions."

What Janne said was important. I had to leave Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking about my return to SC. In fact, I've already experienced some of it again while moving in and registering -- the narrow-mindedness, the convention -- and I'm dreading it. I'm fearing that Sterling College might have an impact on me, that it might cement conventionality into my character. I fear the total lack of diversity - racially and intellectually. I fear having to alter my character to fit in to the evangelical crowd. And because of these fears, I'm applying to other colleges this semester, so by Spring semester I might be out of The System. Yeah, it's capitalized.

I think that I'm also scared of losing friends. There are few genuine friends - I really believe that. Most friendships are superficial. They are based around some shared interest or common ideology, or because both people have the hots for each other and want to screw around. Sometimes people are friends because it's socially convenient - they hang around the same crowd.

There are some people that I am attached to, more than superficially. And I'm scared, honestly. I'm scared that unless I stay close, the friendship will disappear. I'm glad to go through this, because it reminds me of my own humanity, but I also don't like to see good things come to an end. But all good things come to an end.

Why am I attached to certain people? I don't know yet; I haven't quite pinned it. But I respect people who are culturally aware. I respect people with opinions. I also respect people who can take my honesty, who can have a real discussion, who entertain my crazy notions, who respect me for having opinions. Damn it, I just have fun with some people, and maybe I'm scared of losing those moments. I don't know precisely, but it really shakes me up sometimes.

I also know that the human spirit is resilient and finds ways to cope with loss and change. For now, I guess, I'm just meant to feel all too human.

One of my friends (a dear, genuine friend) is keen on reminding me not to have any regrets in my life, and I'll be damned if I do. I plan on living life passionately, experiencing all of the emotions that make me human, and in the process I hope to love passionately. And my wish - or perhaps my human need - is to be loved in return. Maybe that's why I fear being away from certain people. Maybe I just fear I'll miss their love.

Well there is some brute honesty.

Comments

Anonymous said…
U know......sometimes figuring out how to 'really' be yourself, is to do so no matter who you are around or where you are. One might think it an act of cowardice or weakness to 'run' from a place just because you are not surrounded by people who think and act just like you. In a way, this type of thinking is exactly the reason why you are so "down" on Sterling College.(NARROW MINDEDNESS) Just find the courage to be true to yourself no matter where you are!
Unknown said…
While I appreciate this anonymous piece of advise, I have to reject it. You are right - I should be myself no matter who I am around, even if it offends them, because if they cannot handle my personality, that's too damn bad. On the other hand, life consists of an awful lot of ass-kissing and charming. And I find it more than just politeness to adapt to the people I am around - yes, more than just politeness: it is in fact part of my identity. It's like that line delivered by Jude Law in I Heart Huckabees: "How am I not myself?" So maybe I am more myself when I adapt to different groups than I am when I try to act the same around everybody. Identity is not marked by uniformity, after all.

You are also right that one might find it cowardly to run from a place just because people do not act and think just like me. I am one such person that would consider that cowardly and disgusting. I would also consider any person who thinks that is what I am doing is a fool.

Next, you are trying to tell me why I am "down" on Sterling College. That, anonymous, is also foolish (and off, by the way).

I will find courage, anonymous. I will find the courage to make my life better as I see fit, to make the most out of my youth while I still have it. I will not be paralyzed by any fear of change. I will see the world and experience many great things. And through these experiences, I will live life.

Seize the day, no?
Jeremy K said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy K said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy K said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy K said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
I would agree Deric. There is definitely more to life than living by a set of rules. Hence, I am grateful for the perfect law of LIBERTY that Jesus gives us. Freedom to do what we choose. The heart of the matter is the heart. Don't do something because you are told to, do it because you want to! I tell people all the time, if I live to retirement, i did something wrong. Take advantage of life and do something crazy. I have no doubt you will.

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.