Skip to main content

A Strange Encounter

The man did not know how he came to be in a cornfield. But there he was. It was nighttime, and the man couldn't see very well. The glowing pallor of the distant city's faint, humming lights washing hazy over the southern horizon helped him navigate around the soldier-like rows of corn. The city scared the man. He didn't know why exactly, but he felt it best to walk north, toward the peace and melancholy of that black sea. The cornfield wasn't too cold. It wasn't uncomfortable, either. It would do well enough, he thought, to just walk around in it for a while.

But the serene stroll was cut short. Just as the man's mind meandered to pleasanter places, a bad feeling caught him across the jaw. I'm being followed, he thought. The Russians are after me. The man started to run in diagonals, cutting through rows every so often to correct his direction. The man ran into a clearing. The Russians were waiting for him there with a space ship.

The man knew there was no escaping from the Russians, especially if they had a space ship - and they did - so he climbed on board with them. Better to cooperate at this point, he thought. He was being held in a part of the ship that was a bit like the back of an enlarged ambulance, but without the gurney or sharp tools. The man sat on a bench next to two or three Russians, and across from him sat a handful more. The man thought that the Russians weren't as bad as he thought they would be. Even though they hadn't spoken a word, their quiet was not a cold quiet. They were just bored, perhaps, or hungry.

The man could feel that they were slowing down. They had been traveling for maybe fifteen or twenty minutes. It was hard to say how far they had gone. The man had no windows to see the outside whirling by. Probably for the better, he mused, because I get motion sickness in space ships. From the front of the craft, the man heard some murmuring and what sounded like an electronic voice.

One of the Russians sitting across from the man leaned forward and said, with a heavy accent, What you want to order? The man had been pretty hungry, lost in a corn field and all. I'll take two double cheeseburgers and a small fry, he said. You want a drink, no? said the friendly Russian. No thanks, said the man. He hardly ever ordered drinks from fast food restaurants. He believed it was wrong to pay so much for something that cost the owners so little.

So the man waited in the space ship with several Russians in that McDonald's parking lot, and he didn't miss the corn field a bit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So you met that guy too, huh? I thought I was the only one. Except when I met him, he hadn't gotten to McDonald's yet; he was sitting in the lobby of a downtown Chicago homeless shelter.

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.