Skip to main content

New Thoughts About Old Thoughts



So today I was going through a bunch of old notebooks I had stashed away in one of my dresser drawers. I was curious what kinds of things I had written in these things, some of which date back to my first years of high school.


A few observations:


1) I had an awesome sense of humor. Where did that go?


2) My memories of the past often do not include my emotional state of the time. I read many entries about how miserable I was at certain points of my life, and I have a hard time remembering those feelings.


3) To build on #2, my past feelings aren't the only things that are unrecognizable. Some of those things were written by an entirely different person, somebody I would hardly recognize as myself were I to have coffee with him today.


4) My handwriting varies from wildly illegible to quite good. Why the hell didn't I just always write in the latter style?


5) Some of the events I wrote about are still too painful for me to re-read, even after years of distance.


6) Nevertheless, I found that going through these was a great way to take stock of where I have come so far.


7) I need to write more often.


I'll leave you with a few entries I found detailing my first Greyhound bus experience:


Thursday


Arrived at Kansas City Greyhound station shortly before 7:00. Next bus leaves at 1:00am. Was accosted, shortly after arriving, by a man claiming to need gas money for an elderly handicapped relative, or something of the sort. Told him I've no money. Not looking forward to the 6 hour wait...


A large, unkempt man sat next to me - not much said, but seemed nice enough.


A girl sat beside me on the bench earlier. Perhaps my age, perhaps a little younger. She looked nervous. Her glances shot dramatically from her extreme left to her extreme right and back again. Wondered if this was her first time traveling. Or perhaps she was confused.


*Note to self: Falafel = gas*


 Friday


Arrived at Sioux Falls about an hour late. Slept most of the way on last bus - almost didn't get a seat. This station is far smaller - no worries about getting a seat on the next bus. The farther north I travel the more normal people seem to be. That Falafel's still giving me problems.







Comments

amanda d. said…
um your sense of humor is still awesome.

your falafel note would have been handy before yesterdays lunch excursion.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...