Skip to main content

SBC Baptisms Declining


According to this article, although "the number of Southern Baptist churches in 2006 increased by 524... total baptisms in the Southern Baptist Convention fell for the second consecutive year."

This has caused me to ponder: is this because the SBC is attracting mainly people from church backgrounds (i.e. already baptized), or is it because the SBC doesn't put enough emphasis on the doctrine of baptism? While I've never belonged to a SBC, my church background is similar (a conservative baptistic evangelical church), and baptism has never been stressed as very important. In fact, I wasn't baptized until many years after I became a Christian and joined a church.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When I visited Southern Seminary, one of the things the president stated that identified the school as "Baptist" in the first place was their emphasis on the ordinance of baptism.

I do know that many people who are unsatisfied with the liberal direction of other mainline denominations are attracted to the SBC, primarily because of its unwavering stand on the authority of Scripture and on the gospel.

Of course, there's always the possibility that God happens not to be saving as many people through the SBC right now, which (as you know) has a direct bearing on the number of baptisms in a church which practices believer's baptism.
Unknown said…
Unfortunately, I only have experience with one Southern Baptist Church (the Venue), which was probably not representative of most SB churches. To be fair, though, the Venue did have their own series on Baptism.

I do wonder how the number of baptisms in baptist churches compare with the number of baptisms of paedobaptist churches as a ratio of church growth.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

Thinking About Marriage

I gave my sister a book about marriage for Christmas. I would have hesitated giving this book to her three months ago. However, my views on marriage have changed substantially since entering college last August. Many people assume that their main calling in life is a vocation, and their spouse should be compatible with that calling. Therefore, people look for a spouse on the premise that if an eligible person cannot or is even uncertain about his or her ability to exist with a partner who does "X" for a living, that eligible person is not "the one." However, I believe this logic is twisted. What is more important to God? I think if we look honestly at the Bible, it is very clear that God places the institution of marriage over the institution of work. Family comes first, right? If you think you have found "the one," there is no need to try to add likely employment position as a qualifier to his or her eligibility. Am I making sense? What I am simply tryi...

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!...