Skip to main content

The Black Hills

I got home from the Black Hills early this morning. As far as I could tell, everybody had a blast. Bonus: I met two very awesome people - Matt and Dan. There is nothing quite like a camping expedition to get acquainted. All of the photos are on my profile on facebook, but I'll put a few of them here to give you an idea of what we did.





Here I stand in front of the beautiful rolling black hills. This is still in the first day of hiking, so I still feel as if I'm alive.





Ann ponders the meaning of life.





Our campground for the first night. Although it's dispersed camping, we stumbled upon a relatively convenient bit of forest for the number of tents we had.











At lunchtime on day #2, we took a break on the tops of these rocks and took in some great sights. We were close enough to see Harney Peak at this point.





On the morning of day #3, the remaining campers hiked out of the wilderness.





And then they stabbed me with walking sticks.





We saw a television advertisement for these new P'zone things at Pizza Hut right after we got out of the forest. Since we had been eating trail mix and crackers for three days, the images of meaty cheese-stuffed goodness left an indelible mark in our memories. So, we stopped at a pizza hut in Nebraska on the way home and indulged our senses.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reaction to Dante's Hell as Portrayed in Dante's Inferno

Since its Patristic roots, the Church has struggled with two seemingly contradictory aspects of God's nature. One one hand, God is said to be loving and caring towards his creation. At the same time, however, God is seen as a judge, dealing out justice to all according to their actions. Some Christians have argued that God, due to his overabundance of love, can never punish or cause harm. Other Christians have no qualms in maintaining that a loving God sends people to Hell, even against their own will. Most fall in between these two extremes. I would maintain that Dante's view of punishment in Hell errs on the side of the latter extreme, given the assumption of a loving God as described in Christian literature. The God portrayed in Dante's Inferno punishes based on gross oversimplifications. His God ignores the larger picture of human psychology and sociological influences in addition to the rehabilitative capacities of wrongdoers.

Good parents do not punish their children …

The Clink (New Friends)

Each other is all we have. It's no surprise, then, that when we think about the chapters of our lives, those chapters usually begin and end with the beginning and ending of relationships. My current chapter began in July 2016, when I made the move from Philadelphia to Denver. In many ways, it was the fulfillment of a promise made between Peace Corps friends; Carly, Evan, and I spoke often of our desire to live in the same place some day, and after two wonderful years spent with Kyla, it was time for me to join them.

The great advantage to this arrangement is that Evan and Carly had been cultivating friends in my absence, so upon my arrival last summer, I was met with a wonderful group of people who had been carefully conditioned by Evan and Carly to like me.

Readers of this blog will remember Evan and Carly from my Peace Corps days. They were the closest I had to family for two years, and by the end of our service, we were inseparable.


Evan

Pappy. Pop-pop. Dilly-dally. Evan is know…

Love in the Peace Corps

I joined the Peace Corps because I wanted to connect with the rest of the world, to see life from the perspective of the oppressed, to spread joy and wonder and curiosity to new places. I did not join, in other words, to find a girlfriend.
Why was it then, that as soon as I walked into my hotel in Philadelphia, I felt like a college freshman? I couldn't get through my first elevator ride without my heart-rate increasing and my breath shortening.
The feeling returned during our introductory meetings: the nervousness, the flurry of disordered thinking that accompanied moments of eye contact.
Damn you, body. Why must you sabotage everything good in this world?
I talked this over with my friend Ted on day one in Morocco. I was prepared for the bugs and dirt and cultural difficulties that come with Peace Corps, but nothing could prepare me for the onslaught of charming, independent-minded, attractive girls that I would be meeting throughout those first weeks. He agreed. It was eerie how ma…