Skip to main content

Defusing the Bomb, or A Clumsy Dance with Optimism



A sinister feeling has been slowly creeping up on me over the past few years, commensurate with my increasing level of awareness of (first) all of the evil shit that's going down in the world, and (second) all of the greedy, compassion-less bastards that are exacerbating the problems and/or stymieing the significantly smaller chunk of humanity that genuinely gives a damn.

My warm-blooded, liberal heart has for so long hoped that the goodness inside each of us will ultimately prevail, that we'll eventually stop persecuting people based on their religion (or lack thereof), skin color, sexual identity, or nationality, that we'll some day stop trying to kill each other, stop exploiting everything and everyone that we come across.

Imagine, if you will, that all of the hate in the world is a bomb (fitting, considering the implications of certain hate-filled groups in the world with easy access to nuclear and biological weapons). The bomb is about to explode, causing a massive amount of damage to everyone involved. Hate, avarice, and stupidity push this bomb closer to the detonation point. Meanwhile, folks can either (one) try to defuse the bomb, putting themselves in dangerous proximity or (two) get the hell out of the way - as far away as possible, in fact. Just forget the bomb and enjoy your life. Accept that the world is extremely unfair, while celebrating your relative luck. And what luck! Westerners are on the winning side. We're the exploiters, the rich, the powerful. Morally questionable? Certainly, but what the hell. They believe the bomb is going to go off eventually anyway. If something cataclysmic doesn't happen, the world will just slowly transform into a starving, war-torn, polluted dump.

As I was driving to work today, I noticed the trash truck in front of me was losing trash along the interstate, one significant chunk every thousand feet or so. What could I do? For all I knew, there were hundreds of trash trucks in Kansas City at that same moment littering the streets with resident garbage.


And this is really where I've come to. I observe the world falling apart. I take note of how tragic it is. Maybe I even appreciate the aesthetic qualities of a world falling apart. Is that sick or what? 


This is odd coming from somebody involved in nonprofit work, I'm sure. Understand that, despite my best efforts at optimism, I've been surrounded by people who say, as if jeering at me from a safe distance, "There will never be an end to war/racism/sexism/intolerance/whathaveyou. That's because each person is born with original sin. Only in heaven will things be really good. On earth, we're doomed to live in a dying planet." I guess they were right, at least partway.


But if you're one of those people, I want to make one thing clear: you aren't right because it's impossible to fix the world's problems. You're right because there are enough jackasses like you who are too cynical or cowardly or apathetic to approach the bomb. There are too many bystanders and not enough defusers. And unless we find a cure for stupidity and ignorance, there will always be more people pushing the bomb closer to detonation than there are trying to defuse it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.