Skip to main content

When Happiness Loses Its Appeal

I cried this morning. Scratch that - I wept.


Before it happened, I called in sick. I've been fighting a cold for several days, see. After that was taken care of, I sat down on my couch and broke down into sobs.


The scariest part is that I didn't even know why I was crying. I don't usually cry, see. Not even at funerals or weddings or anything. In fact, I can remember each time I have cried over the past couple of years.


Just a few days ago, I called a very dear family member who is dealing with some seriously heavy things. Near the close of the conversation, she started crying and said, "You're very special to me." I dittoed both sentiments.


This last summer, well before moving to Kansas City, I found myself crying a lot. My grandmother died - cancer - in her house with the rest of my family taking care of her. Her youngest son, my Uncle Joshua had died tragically just months previous.


Before that happened, I parted ways with my girlfriend, Jennie. Easily the most I have ever cried before in my life. But this is no place to get into that. Oh, also, I had cried to her on a number of occasions when I decided to spill out my emotions about personal things.


Okay, so compared with the rest of my life, this last year has included a lot of crying. But before December 2009, I cried very rarely, with the exception of a patch of tearful spots during my high school Junior year.


What is happening to me?


I have certainly been very moody lately (i.e. over the last year), but I remember being happy, very happy, even. That seems to be changing. With the loss of college life, I have lost a lot of things that colored my life in brights: 

  • a sense of direction and goal completion
  • a series of intellectually and emotionally engaging tasks
  • a close-knit group of friends that made my problems seem manageable
  • a friend I could share intimacy with
  • several professors who were friends sharing wisdom with me and supporting me
  • a community in which I felt I could make some changes
Several days ago, I spontaneously jotted down several things about myself that disgusted me of late. I was shocked at both the size of the list and what it said about my character. At the top of the page I wrote "Lately" and underneath:

directionless
overwhelmed by options
not committing
taking the lazy route
not being impressive
eating too much
not exercising
not writing
not playing any instruments
not learning another language, trick, or developing a talent
not reading about things for which I am passionate
not being passionate in general
not being great or exceeding expectations
not calling an eye doctor (I've been putting this off for some time now)
making excuses for things
too much time sleeping
too much time on the computer
too much time watching tv

Kind of a depressing list, right? And these are just the things at the front of my mind. Who knows how long the list could've grown had I actually (God forbid) put some real thought into it.

I've tried taking steps back toward a fulfilled life. I buy mostly healthful food.  I have started watching online math classes from MIT. I'm teaching myself to juggle.

Most recently, I have been looking at grad schools. Maybe setting up a concrete goal will motivate me to be happy. That's what I was doing when I broke down early this morning - looking at grad schools, trying not to think about my ex girlfriend.

What's more, I have no idea what grad program to choose. At times, I've wanted to be (in roughly this order):

A computer programmer (high school)(I was advanced in math)
A lawyer (high school)(state debate team)
A pilot (just thought it would be cool)
A missionary (college - Missions major at TMC)
A lawyer (again, this time serving overseas with the International Justice Mission)
A theologian (college - Theology major at TMC, then undeclared at SC)
A tour guide (summers at Yellowstone National Park and Wind Cave National Park)

A pianist (here and there throughout college, thanks to Dr. Nix)
A writer/journalist (college - Humanities major)
A filmmaker (college - Humanities major)

I finished college intending to eventually go into a writing business. And now - now that I'm looking at grad schools, what programs am I looking into?

Physics
Mathematics
Earth Science

What. The. Hell.

This is my big problem. I want to do everything. I try to do many things. As a result, I am 22 with a job that I don't really like in a field that I have never thought about going into with a bachelor's degree in Humanities. English, art, philosophy, music, or theatre majors are already notorious for their worthlessness in finding a job, but I picked a major that mixed them all together.

So here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to pretend I just graduated high school and start all over again. And maybe this time I won't fuck everything up. I'll stick to one subject religiously. I'll become competent at something for once in my life. And if all goes well, I'll be successful in it.

Or maybe I'll learn to be content with unhappiness. Apparently that's a pretty popular option these days.

Comments

Unknown said…
So I know this is definitely a late comment for this post, but being in China is my excuse....and now I'm sitting here at the Fuller's with nothing to do, finally getting around to reading my brother's blog :)

First of all, it makes me feel safe (and...I dunno, I guess assured?)knowing that there are some experiences in our life that no one else will ever possibly understand save you and me. And I'm so sorry that at some of the most crucial times to help each other heal, I instead ran away from it like a coward. I should have been there to share some of those tears of yours, Bubba, and I'm sorry.

But not to get all sad. I wanted this to be an encouraging post...the things I am thinking.

So anyway, what I really thought while reading this is just how amazing you are. You are so talented at a RIDICULOUS amount of things. Sometimes it causes me jealousy!

Looking at all of the things you've wanted to do in life, I don't feel like that's being 'directionless', I guess I think it's just the opposite.

There are people years older than you that don't know what they want to do because they feel they are good at nothing. But you, Deric, you have so many options, so many abilities. That's why I am never worried about your future, I know you will achieve great things.

Sure, right now that can be frustrating, not knowing what direction to take. I went through a time similar to this my sophomore year at Sterling (and still sometimes do) I wanted to major in music, art, theatre, and CM. I had no idea what do do. But I chose one and focused on it... and time has a funny way of leading you (with initiative on your part of course...which you have) and years later you will look back on times like these where you felt frustrated and a little hopeless, and think, 'holy crap, how did I get here?' Back then, I didn't think that now I'd be fresh from China with a family on the way, looking to move to Philly to start nursing, so we can move overseas and try our hardest to help. I mean, if you would have told me that 3 years ago, I would have laughed in your face. (and prolly thrown up, too. The thought of blood and needles back then...and now...nursing!!??)

I guess what I'm trying to say is not knowing what you want to do because there are so many options is a good problem to have. (I mean, think about the alternative!)

My advice, choose something. Pick a life goal (helping the dying in other countries? Bringing to light the injustices of the world? Trying to bring beauty to this earth through music? Trying to make the ignorant aware of their own ignorance? What do you hope to accomplish the most?)Choose a direction that you feel would most help achieve that goal.

Just choose it and go with it. Give it all you've got. Who knows how those other interests will work their way into your life in other forms.

Maybe you've already thought about all this and I'm just talkin to air...sorry :S These are just my thoughts about it.

I love you, Bubblin', and I don't worry about you at all. You are the most intelligent person I know, and you are driven to help mankind. I couldn't be more proud of you...and I'm even more excited to see what you achieve in life.

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.