Skip to main content

Scattered Thoughts

I feel as though since Christmas break, I have been turning over a new leaf in my life. I once again take great pleasure in walking through town. Why, just tonight I watched a group of youth having a snowball fight down in the parking lot a hundred feet below. What delight it brought me, seeing this innocence at play!


This is a small and trivial example, so let me explain in a little greater detail.


From my previous posts, you might have been able to tell that I had been going through some depressive stages. I carried these brooding thoughts with me back to Kansas, but, through a tightly-budgeted schedule, kept myself too busy to have many negative thoughts.


I especially enjoyed seeing my old professor, Tash. Around him, I feel as though someone really takes an interest in the things I take interest in. I feel like he "gets" me.


I also visited my second mother, Marci, and several of her offspring. What a delightful visit! I even just laughed when they began making their silly jokes about liberals. I didn't mind. I was just glad to be with people that had a history with me.


At my Uncle's Christmas Eve party, I saw some classmates for the first time since high school. One of them asked me, "So what are you doing these days? You're in seminary, right?" The thought! This guy's last impression of me was so vastly different from who I am now that - well, I didn't even bother explaining to him that I had been an atheist for the last three years. I just laughed and said, "No no no. No. I'm working with a nonprofit agency right now in Kansas City. I'm about to go into the peace corps in August."


I got to visit many old friends from high school and college both. It was a nice refresher for me - a reminder of where I had come from, what I had been working through all my life up to this point. Perhaps one day I'll visit with my fellow team leaders and reflect on the person I am today.


The most momentous part of Christmas break was traveling up to South Dakota with my grampuh, Uncle Zachary, and my cousin, China. We went to the Black Hills, a place I am well acquainted with, to visit my Aunt and Uncle and their family. Away from my computer and with barely a bar of reception for my phone, I was pretty well cut off from the goings-on of the rest of the world.


I suppose visiting all of these people made me aware of my existence in a different way. I had almost forgotten that I am somebody to other people. My existence has a lot of meaning, especially in relation to others' existence. I needed this reminder. Also, I had a great discussion with my Uncle Zachary that inspired me to take my last 7 months in Kansas City more seriously.


When I came back, I immediately made some changes. I've been waking up earlier; I've stopped checking  personal email at work; I've cracked down on my eating (except for a few times - damn you pizza parties!). Coffee seems to be a new, regular part of my life. I don't quite know how I feel about that yet, but it's seemed so far to work a positive change in my mood.


With all of this, I've finally mailed in all of my peace corps paperwork, sans my extraction paperwork. But over the break, I asked a family member with dentist connections in Kansas City for a favor, and she's been working on something for me. Everything is coming up Deric lately.


In the spirit of turning over a new leaf, I've also completely rearranged my apartment. I know, with only one large room, it's hard to be too creative, but I managed to sort of split it up into two areas. More importantly, I've split it up so that it encourages reading and exercise and discourages dawdling at my computer.


I'm flossing daily.


I'm reading more.


I've been going outside more often, and other places - the museum, the bookstore, the symphony.


I won't say that I have no more sad moments - I do. But I definitely feel different. I feel better, and I think the feeling is here to stay. With more confidence in my emotions, I will improve more and more, and I will love myself more and more as that happens.


Oh, one last note - I feel like, for the first time, really, I'm moving past my last breakup. Maybe that is the single most important factor in this whole shift.


On a side note, I know I've promised a video for quite some time. The truth is, I haven't been able to motivate myself to edit the pieces of footage I've taken together into something coherent. I'll get around to it, I promise.
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Clink (New Friends)

Each other is all we have. It's no surprise, then, that when we think about the chapters of our lives, those chapters usually begin and end with the beginning and ending of relationships. My current chapter began in July 2016, when I made the move from Philadelphia to Denver. In many ways, it was the fulfillment of a promise made between Peace Corps friends; Carly, Evan, and I spoke often of our desire to live in the same place some day, and after two wonderful years spent with Kyla, it was time for me to join them.

The great advantage to this arrangement is that Evan and Carly had been cultivating friends in my absence, so upon my arrival last summer, I was met with a wonderful group of people who had been carefully conditioned by Evan and Carly to like me.

Readers of this blog will remember Evan and Carly from my Peace Corps days. They were the closest I had to family for two years, and by the end of our service, we were inseparable.


Evan

Pappy. Pop-pop. Dilly-dally. Evan is know…

Reaction to Dante's Hell as Portrayed in Dante's Inferno

Since its Patristic roots, the Church has struggled with two seemingly contradictory aspects of God's nature. One one hand, God is said to be loving and caring towards his creation. At the same time, however, God is seen as a judge, dealing out justice to all according to their actions. Some Christians have argued that God, due to his overabundance of love, can never punish or cause harm. Other Christians have no qualms in maintaining that a loving God sends people to Hell, even against their own will. Most fall in between these two extremes. I would maintain that Dante's view of punishment in Hell errs on the side of the latter extreme, given the assumption of a loving God as described in Christian literature. The God portrayed in Dante's Inferno punishes based on gross oversimplifications. His God ignores the larger picture of human psychology and sociological influences in addition to the rehabilitative capacities of wrongdoers.

Good parents do not punish their children …

Morocco, Land of Ambiguity

The sun was pummeling me. On my shoulders and on the back of my skull. When Moroccans catch the sniffles, they say "The cold hit me." On this particular afternoon in Sidi Bennour, as I wandered from street to street, that bully Sol took no mercy, and as my fragile frame absorbed each blow, I could feel the scorn from the sun, the mocking and scorn, and not just from celestial bodies, but Arab bodies as well, from behind their piles of watermelon and cactus carts, straw hats and tooth-ish grins going "What is this white guy doing wandering around here in the middle of the afternoon?"


What I was doing was looking for a damned pair of socks. Eventually, I found a guy selling piles of used clothes. There appeared to be no order to the mess, so I just asked him if he sold any packages of socks. Hell, I didn't know. I've witnessed butchers selling toothbrushes on the side. Anyway, I might as well have asked the man if he had any poisonous snakes for sale. He could…