Skip to main content

Scattered Thoughts

I feel as though since Christmas break, I have been turning over a new leaf in my life. I once again take great pleasure in walking through town. Why, just tonight I watched a group of youth having a snowball fight down in the parking lot a hundred feet below. What delight it brought me, seeing this innocence at play!


This is a small and trivial example, so let me explain in a little greater detail.


From my previous posts, you might have been able to tell that I had been going through some depressive stages. I carried these brooding thoughts with me back to Kansas, but, through a tightly-budgeted schedule, kept myself too busy to have many negative thoughts.


I especially enjoyed seeing my old professor, Tash. Around him, I feel as though someone really takes an interest in the things I take interest in. I feel like he "gets" me.


I also visited my second mother, Marci, and several of her offspring. What a delightful visit! I even just laughed when they began making their silly jokes about liberals. I didn't mind. I was just glad to be with people that had a history with me.


At my Uncle's Christmas Eve party, I saw some classmates for the first time since high school. One of them asked me, "So what are you doing these days? You're in seminary, right?" The thought! This guy's last impression of me was so vastly different from who I am now that - well, I didn't even bother explaining to him that I had been an atheist for the last three years. I just laughed and said, "No no no. No. I'm working with a nonprofit agency right now in Kansas City. I'm about to go into the peace corps in August."


I got to visit many old friends from high school and college both. It was a nice refresher for me - a reminder of where I had come from, what I had been working through all my life up to this point. Perhaps one day I'll visit with my fellow team leaders and reflect on the person I am today.


The most momentous part of Christmas break was traveling up to South Dakota with my grampuh, Uncle Zachary, and my cousin, China. We went to the Black Hills, a place I am well acquainted with, to visit my Aunt and Uncle and their family. Away from my computer and with barely a bar of reception for my phone, I was pretty well cut off from the goings-on of the rest of the world.


I suppose visiting all of these people made me aware of my existence in a different way. I had almost forgotten that I am somebody to other people. My existence has a lot of meaning, especially in relation to others' existence. I needed this reminder. Also, I had a great discussion with my Uncle Zachary that inspired me to take my last 7 months in Kansas City more seriously.


When I came back, I immediately made some changes. I've been waking up earlier; I've stopped checking  personal email at work; I've cracked down on my eating (except for a few times - damn you pizza parties!). Coffee seems to be a new, regular part of my life. I don't quite know how I feel about that yet, but it's seemed so far to work a positive change in my mood.


With all of this, I've finally mailed in all of my peace corps paperwork, sans my extraction paperwork. But over the break, I asked a family member with dentist connections in Kansas City for a favor, and she's been working on something for me. Everything is coming up Deric lately.


In the spirit of turning over a new leaf, I've also completely rearranged my apartment. I know, with only one large room, it's hard to be too creative, but I managed to sort of split it up into two areas. More importantly, I've split it up so that it encourages reading and exercise and discourages dawdling at my computer.


I'm flossing daily.


I'm reading more.


I've been going outside more often, and other places - the museum, the bookstore, the symphony.


I won't say that I have no more sad moments - I do. But I definitely feel different. I feel better, and I think the feeling is here to stay. With more confidence in my emotions, I will improve more and more, and I will love myself more and more as that happens.


Oh, one last note - I feel like, for the first time, really, I'm moving past my last breakup. Maybe that is the single most important factor in this whole shift.


On a side note, I know I've promised a video for quite some time. The truth is, I haven't been able to motivate myself to edit the pieces of footage I've taken together into something coherent. I'll get around to it, I promise.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you remembered.
"I am involved in mankind." (John Donne, 1624)

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.