Skip to main content

Stealing the Elephant

One time, my friends and I went to Alden to steal something. Nothing big, important, nothing that, once stolen, would devastate the ex-owner. We drove around until we found the most luxurious house in town (which isn't saying much for a town like Alden) and spying out their front porch decorations. Aha! An elephant trumpeting its trunk. How majestic! How noble! How theft-able! Scott spotted it first, actually. He said, "There it is. We're stealing that elephant." So we circled the block once, talked over our plan, and got into position. The house was well-lit, so we parked the car half a block away, out of the light. Mind you, we parked in the middle of the road, so we weren't exactly inconspicuous. Still, the owners of our target couldn't see us. Michael got out of the car, ran up to the porch, and wrapped his arms around this large and (as we were able to deduce from his body language) very heavy elephant. Michael struggled with it so much, in fact, that he couldn't make it to the car. Several of us understood the idiocy of our plan and exclaimed to no one in particular, "Oh shit! He's not going to make it!" So we drove the car into the exposing light of the rich man's house and opened the trunk for Michael, who promptly threw in the elephant and hopped into the back seat. We sped away, victorious, awaiting the police. After all, we were literally the only moving car in all of Alden, and no doubt several of the neighbors observed with considerably suspicion this strange car parked in the middle of the road.
We tried to make our escape a number of times, but couldn't remember how to get back to Sterling. So we ended up driving up and down Main Street three or four times. I was thinking, "Jesus, we're just asking to get caught."
But we didn't. We made it back to Sterling without anybody following us, without anybody coming out of the house. Hell, for all we know, nobody even noticed we were there.
Do I feel bad about what we did that night? Not really. We targeted the richest-looking property in town. I like to think of it as wealth equalization. The equalizers have never been looked upon favorably by the wealthy. But they're heroes. Our actions weren't exactly heroic. After all, we didn't meet anybody else's needs by stealing this elephant. We did, however, stick it to a rich man. A man content with parading his wealth by displaying costly animal molds on his front porch. What a dick. No, I don't feel bad in the slightest. Besides, it made a cool mascot for Campbell basement for a while, and it's served as a great conversation starter.
I think the elephant is happier too. Who likes being a trophy? Nobody. Almost nobody. Nobody of noble standing, anyway. The elephant is much happier, I'm sure, chilling out with college students than freezing his giant gray ass off in front of some rich guy's house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his ...

An Experiment In Honesty

This last week has been emotionally unsettling, and since I've been unoccupied all day (I'm at my dad's place until I leave for San Francisco), I'm feeling it in a strong sort of way. To sort it all out, I thought the best thing to do would be to start writing about it, so here it goes. This summer has been very influential in my development - I suspect more influential than I can really understand at present. I had to leave many new-found friends and watch as friends left me. The people at Yellowstone helped me to see what I want socially. There were few Christians (besides the anomalous Campus Crusaders) who were more than nominally religious (and I mean religious in the way that we see American Evangelicals or Catholics - there were many 'mystics'). I could talk honestly about questions of death or a god without fearing that evangelical backlash I'd get at Sterling College or The Master's College. In fact, I just enjoyed being able to hang out with an...

On the Biblical Mandate to Respect Authority

The SC choir chaplain brought up a passage in 1 Peter at the beginning of this week regarding submission to authority. It led to interesting conversation, and I'd like to reiterate part of that conversation here. 1) It is important to remember that the early churches who passed around these letters had a very practical use for them. The early church could have easily been stomped out had the early Christians been too anti-government. True, the church was persecuted. True, the church did get into trouble with the government. However, remember that the persecution happened for short bursts of time (historically speaking) and only in isolated areas. It was by no means universal persecution. Additionally, when you look at other early Christian documents, you see more injunctions to work with the rulers. And why not? The early church needed all the support it could get, while not compromising, of course. If they were all outspoken government radicals, they would not have lasted long. 2)...