Skip to main content

Religious Conversation With An Old Friend - Part 1

I'm a nice guy, and I'm nice to all of my friends, even when we're talking about things with which I disagree.

Like religion:

from XKCD
I have several friends who are good sports about it, and I have other friends, who are either (A) uncomfortable with the idea of talking about it (for whatever reason) or (B) too ill-humored to talk about it without getting pissy or mistaking my disagreement for personal attacks.


My friend Stephan* is not one of these friends. I met him during my time in Yellowstone National Park. We enjoyed many talks about Christianity, some while hiking through America's most beautiful wilderness. When we met, I was just beginning to think of myself as an atheist. Stephan belonged to a Campus Crusade for Christ group that was working at the park for the summer. 


A few months ago, I posted a link to a visual representation of contradictions in the Bible. This did not go unnoticed by my old friend, who initiated a discussion around it. I have been very glad to be talking to him, as I miss our old conversations.


I want to share this with other people for a number of reasons:

  1. This is a great example of how to conduct a civilized, impassioned discussion about religion.
  2. Stephan's questions and challenges are well-shaped and clearly stated.
  3. This is a conversation between two people who respect the idea of addressing each completely and systematically, and who try to avoid logical fallacies.
I will post the discussion in chunks, so as not to overwhelm the reader. As you read one entry, try to imagine what the response will look like. How would you have responded?

And without further ado, here is the first message:



*Not his real name
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I haven't talked to you in a while, and this isn't really the best way to say "Hi, how've you been?", but I saw the link you posted, and wanted to comment, but didn't want it to become an endless Facebook comment debate, which rarely accomplishes anything. But I'm curious what your thoughts are...regardless of where this ends up, I'll let you have the last word. And by the way, how've you been? :-) 

Such a list saddens me, because many of those items can be easily explained through actually studying the context (textually & culturally), as well as distinguishing "paradox" from "contradiction".

All that being said: yes, there are some tough texts in scripture, and I do wrestle with them; but ultimately: who am I, a finite man, to conclude that simply because I don't understand how two things can be true together, then they must be a contradiction...

Imagine a highly educated & successful scientist explaining his work to a student (imagine a freshman in Biology 101), and then that student tore him apart, finding many "contradictions", when in reality, it was the student's inability to understand the complexity of the subject that caused him to initially reject them as contradictory. There are mysteries - the classic free will vs. God's sovereignty is one of them: no matter how one explains it, there will still always be an element of mystery (though I believe one can & should still seek sound doctrine, because scripture is clear on many of these issues). We can't scientifically explain God - that's what it means for him to be God: Holy - set apart - not created - not man.

But most of the items on that list aren't even deep mysterious questions - many of them just highlight a general lack of effort to resolve them. If one analyzed any other literary document that way, they'd be laughed out of academia!

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if you had any further thoughts on any of this - for I realize that you likely were not the author of the document: linking to something doesn't imply complete endorsement.

I hope all is well,

-Stephan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.