Skip to main content

Religious Conversation With An Old Friend - Part 3

I would like to use this introductory text tonight to mention something that I feel is important.


You might get the impression from the way these letters are written that our letters are, at best, urgent-sounding, and at worst, rudely cold. You see, these aren't the entire messages. I've been leaving out personal bits that come at the beginning or end of the messages. Stephan and I are actually very friendly to each other at the beginning of all of these messages, and then we get down to business. Anyway, I wanted to say that so you don't read any unfriendly tones either of our letters. And now, the comic:





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I completely agree - most Christians go about defending their text the wrong way (though I believe it is good to clarify discrepancies, especially this particular list leaves much to be desired - including many "discrepancies" that are simply bogus - though some are legitimate issues). 


First of all (bear with me...), I believe the Bible because it is true (I'm obviously biased, I recognize) - God has changed my life through it, and has given me a renewed mind that can see it as truth. I know it seems like a cop-out, but "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned" (I Cor 2) - I proceed to defend the validity of the Bible, even though I know that I can not wholly convince you - God must do a work in you before you can believe.


That aside, I believe the Bible has more things "going for it" that no other Holy book has. First, it is historically verifiable - it jives with recorded human history, which clearly documents the life of Jesus. It is a known fact that he lived, claimed to be God, and died. And there is much evidence of the "explosion" of the church after hundreds claimed to see him resurrected, and no single person or movement has had anywhere close to the impact on the course of human events than Jesus & his church (sadly, the church's impact hasn't always been positive...). Contemporaries of Jesus have much to say about him & his movement in secular writings. Also, the sheer number of fulfilled prophecies is staggering - and the authenticity of the current text vs the original manuscripts is like no other ancient text. The OT prophecies were clearly written many years before Christ was born - few doubt that.


Anyway, I believe the Bible is in a class of it's own among other ancient texts & holy books - though I realize that no amount of "proof" can definitively prove Christianity is true. But I believe the historical record heavily leans in that direction. I have seen no other person or idea or anything, which changes lives & entire peoples like Christ does - no other faith that takes the emphasis off from human self-justification, and puts it on a loving (yet wrathful) God who desires to know & love us personally.


I recognize I am biased, but very much desire to understand conflicting view points... Thoughts? I know that I kind of just spewed out random thoughts with little cohesion or explanation - though if I put more time & thought into it I could argue more specifically, when appropriate.


Have a great Wednesday!


-Stephan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus, Lover of my Soul

An old friend and spiritual mentor of mine left a comment on my last "Religious Conversation" Post . It provoked so much thought that I wanted to share it with everybody, because I know quite a few of my religious friends are reading this, and I know quite a few of you who would make a similar statement. Here it is: There is an element in this conversation that is being overlooked (at least, I presume). There is an aesthetic beauty and, more, an affection, which Steven appears to have for God. This is not illogical; in fact, all human beings exhibit it for something. It may be subjective, and it is not conclusive, but it is completely logical. And I can't imagine an argument that would refute it. It is something like a man saying, "I love my wife. I appreciate her many virtues and charms; I believe her to be the woman most worthy of my affection and lifelong commitment." If I say this and someone were to say to me, "But EVERY man says that of his bride!

How Many Will Enter Heaven?

Check out this quote I found online: "[C]onsider this fact: fewer than 20% of people actually think they are going to hell. And yet, in answering that question, Jesus says in Matthew 7 that FEW pass through the gate that leads to eternal life. 80% doesn't sound like few to me... do some of us have the wrong idea?" There are a number of problems with this quote. First of all, you it is assuming that "few" refers to the current ratio of professing Christians to non-Christians. What's to say that Jesus isn't referring to the entire population of all the earth over all time? In that case, it's entirely plausible that 80% of people now are really Christians, as long as there are still few total Christians when all is said and done. Maybe it applies only to the people in the crowd listening to Jesus. Or, it could refer to something else entirely (as I believe). Jesus was talking to a specific people living in a specific time. We cannot decontextualize his

After Summer Sosltice

my very first priority for the day was to sleep in as late as possible. when my foul roommate woke me up I had to shift to priority number two: be as comfortable as possible - normal routine be damned. Upon shuffling my way into the kitchen, I discovered a moth, wet-plastered to a dirty pan. "I feel your pain, buddy." Sitting on the couch next to a glass of water, I wish I could devise a way to get the water in me without having to move my arms or head. My vacant glazed gaze gathers itself toward a brochure on the coffee table:Tips 4 Teens - Alcohol Abuse I laugh (only mentally) and for a moment, the shaking stops. Jesus, it's good to be alive.